Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Search For Perfection

 

Several weeks ago, our youngest daughter was so excited because her ballet recital was quickly approaching…. She had three costumes, for three performances plus a special Finale performance that she was VERY excited about.

 Now, when we lived in Florida previously, I gleamed from my brother’s wisdom, who is a professor in the Arts. So when he suggested the dance school that we enrolled her in, it wasn’t about a social aspect of “who was the best”.  To him, and us, it was about who would teach her the correct steps, positions, and other basics of dance.  One, was for her safety, and the other was so that if she decided to take it further, she would not be wasting time unlearning incorrect habits and then having to learn the correct ones, which would slow her down in her progression. (I hear another lesson in that sentence)

I grew very accustomed to the standard that was taught during that time.  So, when we moved away, we knew that we wasn’t going to be there forever, and sometimes our decisions are framed around our circumstances; because one season in our lives is not like the other. We knew for that time, that it was more important to keep a sense of stability in the girl’s lives, than it was to search all over for the “best” dance school.  We were blessed to have a good one close to us. 

Here comes the problem that was in me, if I can be simply honest. When it came time for the dress rehearsal, I dreaded it.  I didn’t have a real reason why, but I did.  I found myself comparing every single thing that was done that night to the dance school in Florida.  Now mind you, I didn’t say anything, but my critical thinking was in over drive!  So my own thoughts toward this performance that she was going to give was not encouraging at all, and encouraging was exactly what I was supposed to be as a parent right now.  So I wrestled with my critical thoughts for two days until the performance.  The next thing that happened surprised me.

All during those performances, as usual if you have ever been to one, there was a countless number of beautiful little girls in their costumes, from toddlers to Seniors in High School.  And while the little ones were performing, sitting there quietly, I realized that you couldn’t help but smile and cheer them on, no matter how well they remembered the steps, or didn’t.  It didn’t matter.  They were up there, doing the best they could to make their parents proud and at the same time, learning to carry through with what they doing, perfect or not. 

God at that moment spoke to my spirit so clearly, and showed me that I had spent too much of my own life wasting it on the pursuit of perfection, and punishing myself when there was a lack, which has been often.  I had missed out on too many happy moments, constantly judging myself of constant failures, setting a standard in some areas that I could never reach….. I had been completely out of balance.

Now the Bible tells us that anything we do, we are to do it with all our might (Ecc.9:10) and that anything that we do, we should do with excellence, meaning with integrity and doing the best in our ability.  But, much too often, the intention that God has for us, we will pull it apart and make something else out of it; something that He never intended it to be.

I pray that not everyone that is reading this is just like me in this situation.  But we all have had failures and victories. Some things we did right, and some we didn’t.  But we have a Heavenly Father who knew this from the beginning.  He understands better than we do that we are not perfect, and never will be in this life.  That is why there are seasons that we will go through everything we need, to get us where we are going to be.

Remember that God loves us through every situation, walking with us, guiding us, to the next season in our lives. There is always a plan, there’s always a purpose. Even though we do not see it, we will one day understand it.  He will show us that there is something for each of us to do in our lives that will help someone else.  The most important thing to remember while walking this path is that we have a Heavenly Father who is cheering us on, and is not being critical of every move and mistake. He is forgiving and loving.  And believe me when I say, that He is proud of us!

Abba,
How we thank you and praise your for every season in our lives, the good and the difficult.  Because You are with us, We can do anything and everything that you have planned for us.  We choose to trust Your plan for us, Remind us of the strength and wisdom that You give to to walk this path out .
We choose to trust you more!

In Jesus Name
Amen

Have a great day Friend.  We will keep walking this journey together, and we will never be alone……. He’s walking with us!!  Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment